Friday, September 21, 2007

How to set up LAN, and its benefits(Assignment 3b)


The most interesting things I learned from the last week in CIS class are local-area networks (LAN) and wide-area networks (WAN), because I can use this knowledge to build my personal LAN which is connected to a WAN. During our class, the professor mentioned that LAN connects computers in a short distance, and WAN connects computers in a long distance. I set my desktop up as a network server, and I directly connect it to my modem. Since I only have 3 computers, my modem satisfies my needs. I connect another 2 computers to the modem and give IPs to them. After I use PING to ensure I can reach other computers, I open share documents for every computer. Then the computers can use each others’ hard drive space and information. After setting up my LAN, I connect to the internet, the WAN. Then all my computers reach the internet through LAN. I easily and quickly build a nifty home network with Internet access and file-sharing capabilities.

Based on the 2003 Wireless LAN Benefits Study (see link below), LAN brings huge benefits, such as financial returns and greater accuracy, to people. In the business world, 1+1>2 is a reliable fact that supports my idea. Linking computers correctly not only helps managers maintain companies, but also make customers satisfied because of effective work among individuals.

Reference:

Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LAN

http://newsroom.cisco.com/dlls/2003_NOP_WLAN_Benefits_Study.pdf

1 comment:

Roumen said...

How is it possible to eavesdrop a wireless network? What can one do to avoid this? What are the different alternatives and how much do they cost?