Friday, September 14, 2007

Windows & Linux (Assignment 2a)

In our last class, our professor mostly discussed computer software and some hardware usage. I was very interesting in Windows Vista and Linux operation system because I recently bought a laptop which uses Windows Vista as its operation system, and I used to work at an I.T. company which offers VOD service from a Linux server. I searched for some articles about these two systems, and “Linux Will Get Buried” (Tom Yager, 4/9/06) is very interesting. It indicates that Linux will not be used like general operations systems such as Windows’s or Apple’s; however, Linux can thrive in embedded solutions because it has a very mature kernel.

I strongly agree with author’s opinion. He discloses the reason why Linux gets buried in a commercial situation, and the advantages of Linux. It is not that “friendly” because it is really hard to use if you are a beginning user. However, based on my working experience, I believe that Linux is a very stable and reliable system. People could resize it, and it could be embedded to computer hardware. In contrast, Windows systems have a very nice interface, but its kernel is not so stable. Lots of computer users have experienced windows system down. This article is very useful for Linux fans and Linux programmers.

Reference:

Article: Linux Will Get Buried

Author: Tom Yager

Date: 4/9/06

Source: EBSCOhost

Link: http://web.ebscohost.com.remote.baruch.cuny.edu/ehost/pdf?vid=10&hid=3&sid=0c7f9d9a-f47c-40c3-9437-b6c587db9770%40sessionmgr9

No comments: